Thursday, February 22, 2007

"Gangzta's" Paradise

Here are some comments that recently appeared on a UK message board. The first post is the opening thread and the following posts are the comments that followed. For all of you that loathe UK, enjoy. For those of us that love UK, I'm sorry.

1. A black friend of mine from Nashville told me this. I asked him why, and he said that, for years, light blue has been a popular gang color throughout the United States. Naturally, since UNC has light blue as their primary color, many gangs started wearing UNC merchandise. In short, he said, UNC gear has become a symbol for the "thug" or "gang" mentality.

-- The color ain't cool, it's something babies wear. IMO, it's ugly. Still, I would have never thought of it in a million years as a "gang" color. I guess I need to get with the program.

-- I'm a high school counselor and work with lot's of teenagers who are 'gang aware'. The answer is that yes, Carolina Blue stuff is very popular in gang culture. Our school resource officers (deputies in the school) confirm this.

--According to my friend. He said that it nothing to do with liking the color. Instead, he said it was used as a symbol. I already knew that rap artists wore UNC stuff, but I never put the two together. I can tell you this, you don't see very much of it in the Commomwealth.

--And, no matter how much you liked a particular school's color, why would you wear their stuff if you were not a FAN of that school? Answer: It is a symbol that is percieved as "gansta" or "cool". By the way, my buddy is a teacher down at a public school in Nashville. So, I got this from a reliable source, so to speak.

--Could the Tarheels be a young gang of Crips?

--This is absolutely TRUE. I am from Franklin which is 25 misn south of Nashville. I grew up there and had several friends in gangs and they were members of a smaller gang who had close connections with the CRIPS. They all wore baby blue. They had UNC jerseys, baby blue "soldier rags", and even had baby blue airbrushed shoes. It is terrible but true that UNC colors have become a flag for gangstas, thugs, and drugs.

--How ironic is it that ganb-bangers wear my two least favorite colors: Carolina Blue when they're out, Tennessee Orange when they're back in jail.

I wish I was creative enough to make any of this stuff up. Sadly, I am not. Sadly, these things were really posted.

6 Comments:

Blogger Runs With Two Horses said...

Shocked and appalled? Hardly. I've been aware that UNC married itself to gang culture ever since the Serge Zwikker era.

February 23, 2007 at 7:50 AM  
Blogger HAL 9000 said...

They should be kicked out of basketball. That's what it comes down to. At least suspsend Psycho T, that has to be a gang reference.

February 23, 2007 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Steamtrain Maury said...

Thanks for the important information TMonk. I always knew my stereotypes based on color were true. It's also good to know that it is very likely the very white kid that wears the UNC hat everyday is a "gang-banger."

February 23, 2007 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Leonard Peltier said...

Michael Jordan....that guy sure killed a lot of babies and sold a lot of drugs. What a stupid gangster man.

February 23, 2007 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Runs With Two Horses said...

Looks like once again, Leonard's love for MJ has blinded his ability to reason. You would think the time when we saw Jordan tossing Molotov Cocktails at a children's hospital would have opened his eyes.

February 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger the butler said...

Apparently UNC blue is also associated with hot slutty whores who appear on American Idol.

http://thebosh.com/archives/upload/2007/02/Antonella-Barba%203.php

March 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home